A walkabout is a rite of passage- a person will go out into the wilderness to discover his or her identity and purpose, and then return home.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Things I'm Missing About Latin America (?)

-The unpredictable bus schedule that consistently demanded improvization in order to figure out what the hell I needed to do to get where I was supposed to go.
-Bus trips that inevitably took at least three hours longer than anticipated.
-Not possessing a key to the lock or the front gate, and therefore being effectively locked in or out of my own home.
-Paying for public bathroom use.
-Rice and beans 3x each day.
-Needing to throw the toilet paper in the waste basket instead of the toilet.
-Roosters and dogs being my 5:00am alarm clock.
-"Cold" and "extremely cold" showers being the only temperature options.
-The intense whiff of cologne that accompanied the passing of every single male.
-The lack of sunset/sunrise [yay for being almost directly on the equator].
-Inevitably spending anywhere from 16-20 hours of any weekend trip on a bus/waiting for one.
-Ants everywhere.  Even somehow in my contact solution container....
-My nighttime gecko friends that lived in the walls of my room and scurried around at night, making unexpected noises.
-Meeting cool travelers.
-Never knowing what was going to happen.
-Making new friends every day.
-Going out dancing.
-Hearing/speaking a language other than English.
-Experiencing another culture.
-Rarely being bored.
-Warmth.


I want to be out again.

xoxo, Cleome

No comments:

Post a Comment